Sunday, March 11, 2012

Stranger #3


I think Camus divided his book into two parts to highlight Meursault development in the book. Ex: "I worked hard at the office today. The boss was nice" (25). This quote is from the third chapter from part 1. This shows Meursault's thougths and how they are short, quick, and to the point. The following quote is from the first chapter in part two, "Right after my arrest I was questioned several times, but it was just so they could find out who I was, which didn't take long. The first time, at teh police station, nobody seemed very interested in my case" (63). From this we can see Meursault is a little more descriptive in his thinking. Meursault's thought pattern does change but I feel that the way he speaks remains the same. "I didn't say anything, because I didn't have anything to add" (Part 1, 42). "It's just that I don't have anything to say. So I keep quiet" (Part 2, 66). I feel that Camus might be trying to say that change first has to happen within ones self before others are able to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment