Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Journal #8

1. I think that Hurston chose Their Eyes Were Watching God as her title because like we see in the book, there are many biblical references and she does use God as a motif throughout the book. I feel like sometimes she references religion or God in a cynical way but then at other times like in the passage we looked on in class it's in a positive way. This book also has to do with the motif of power and the title makes me think that everyone kind of looks up to God because he has the ultimate power. She includes, "Their" I think, because this book is not like others where it only focuses on the protagonist and antagonist but also focuses on the rest of the towns people. She makes it seem like the whole society is just as important in the book just like Janie is important as well.
2. She could have used the title, Janie's Journey but this would have centered the focus more on Janie herself. Even though she is the main character I feel that the towns people have a vital effect in the story as well, which with this title that would be lost.
3. The title of my pastiche is "Unwanted Destiny". I felt like this was the best title for my pastiche because Edna who is a slave really has no say in her life, because she's owned by her master. I also think that even though she didn't like having to leave her mother is was bound to happen, because of the time period. So she might not have known it was her destiny but when it came she couldn't avoid it, and of course she wasn't fond of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment