Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Post #1

1. Which of the three books did you enjoy the most and why (again, be sure that you use enough details to demonstrate that you read the entire book)?
The book that I enjoyed the most was definately Their Eyes Were Watching God. I think this is because it had a woman protaginist and I feel like many book mostly have male characters as the center of the book so this was obviously different. It makes me feel that I can relate to this book more which made me enjoy it more as well. The book clearly tells the reader the different values that Janie's grandmkother and her have because of their different experiences and their different lives. I can personally relate to this because I feel like me being the first generation here of my family and my mother being from a completley different country, I can relate to Janie's character a bit. So when her grandmother wants her to get married to her first husband it's more for financial and security reasons, showing her perspective on marriage which is different from Janie's, I understand why she thinks that way. I also liked this book because it's not perfect in the sense that other authors might have had Janie or a character like her end up happily married with her true love, but it is actually realistic.

2. Which of the three books did you enjoy least and why?
The book that I enjoyed the least was The Stranger, which was okay but not as good as the other two books. At first I felt that it was very straightforward and it didn't grab my attention. But as I kept reading it, it got better and it wasn't so bad. When he found out that his Mother had passed away I expected some type of reaction from him but I was confused by his lack of reaction. Then when he was at the funeral he didn't show any emotion either, which again I thought it was strange. I think that the first time reading it it might seem dull but I'm hoping that when we read it again, things will jump out that were not so obvious the first time around.

3. If you were to write an essay on the third novel (the book not addressed in the previous two questions) what element or elements would you focus on in that essay and why do think they are important?
I think that if I were to write an essay on 1984 I would focus on society and how it's demonstrated in the book and compare it to how it was back then, and how it is now. I feel like we are all part of society whether we like it or not. Obviously this book took it over the top. But I wonder how far people now a days feel about the government and how they run things. And also how far would we be willing to let the government in on our lives? I feel like their are so many different points of view and reactions to that question but it would be great to know what others think. I think that as far as the book goes it's important to see how the government made the characters choose between themselves or the ones they love. It made me think that maybe we aren't as friendly or compassionate as we think, because the main character gave up his lover in order for him not to suffer. So, I would focus on humans' true nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment